Thursday, July 17, 2008

pray for leaders

I met with a fellow leader yesterday who is going through an especially difficult time. He is in a bad spot because of his leadership responsibilities and decisions. My heart went out to him.

I am reminded that those who are called by God to positions of leadership need our prayer support. A few things come to mind…

There is a higher standard for leaders:
James 3:1-2 Don't be in any rush to become a teacher, my friends. Teaching is highly responsible work. Teachers are held to the strictest standards. And none of us is perfectly qualified. We get it wrong nearly every time we open our mouths. If you could find someone whose speech was perfectly true, you'd have a perfect person, in perfect control of life. (MSG)

Since leaders have a more strict standard, we should pray often for them.

People criticize leaders:
Exodus 15:24 So the people grumbled against Moses… (NIV)
Exodus 16:2 In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. (NIV)
Exodus 17:3 But the people were thirsty for water there, and they grumbled against Moses. (NIV)

Complaining and grumbling wears leaders down. Rather than saying something against a leader, try praying for them.

Leading is hard work:
Paul wrote, (2 Corinthians 11:27-28) “I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.” (NIV)

True leadership is not glamorous. It can kill you. Please support leaders with prayers for encouragement, strength and endurance.

Leading can be lonely:
Mark 14:50 Then everyone deserted him (Jesus) and fled. (NIV)

The time comes for every leader when he/she has to stand alone and do the right thing, even when it is not popular. This is a true test of leadership. We need to pray for our leaders that they will be confident and experience the closeness of the Holy Spirit in times like these.

Leaders will give an account to God:
Hebrew 13:17-18 Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you. 18 Pray for us. (NIV)

Pray for leaders.

1 comment:

  1. Pray for followers too. I find many times my inability to follow is a reflection of my lack of leadership. Today, it seems everyone wants to lead, start their own business, or ministry. Following seems to be 2nd rate. My prayer for tonight is, "Lord, help me to follow, to serve, to accept being last, while continuing to Praise you."

    ReplyDelete