Wednesday, September 10, 2008

the treasure principle

I speed-read Randy Alcorn’s book, The Treasure Principle. I didn’t rush through it because it was not good or I did not like it. I just have too much reading to do and I am trying to catch up.

The book is very helpful, not wonder it was a huge seller. The subtitle is: Unlocking the Secrets of Joyful Giving. This is well stated. For most people, there is no joy in giving, or at least the joy is being kept secret. That is unfortunate, because at least two of the results of this are people don’t give and “meetable” needs are not met.

Let me give you a couple of good quotes from the book, as well as the key principles that Alcorn sets forth.

You can’t take it with you - but you CAN send it on ahead.”
The less I spent on myself and the more I gave to others, the fuller of happiness and blessing did my soul become.” J Hudson Taylor
Giving isn’t a luxury of the rich. It’s a privilege of the poor.”
You couldn’t pay me enough not to give.”
We think we own our possessions but too often they own us.”
I have held many things in my hand and I have lost them all. But whatever I have placed in God’s hands, that I still possess.” Martin Luther
I used to rob six convenience stores a year. This year, by His grace, I’m going to rob only three.” (a commentary on people who decided to give God only part of what is His.)

Treasure Principle #1: God Owns everything. I’m His money manager.
We are the managers of the assets God has entrusted - not given - to us.
Treasure Principle #2: My heart always goes where I put my money.
Watch what happens when you reallocate your money from temporal things to eternal things.
Treasure Principle #3: Heaven, not earth, is my home.
We are citizens of “a better country – a heavenly one” ( Hebrews 11:16)
Treasure Principle #4: I should not live for the dot but for the line.
From the dot – our present life on earth – extends a line that goes on forever, which is eternity in heaven.
Treasure Principle #5: Giving is the only antidote to materialism.
Giving is a joyful surrender to a greater person and a greater agenda. It dethrones me and exalts Him.
Treasure Principle #6: God prospers me not to raise my standard of living but to raise my standard of giving.
God gives us more money that we need so we can give – generously.

Alcorn has a really nice Giving Covenant available. Check it out and apply as necessary.

If you haven’t read the book, pick it up. I hope every member of our church reads it. If you can’t afford a copy, I’ll buy you one. But only after you have given up Starbucks and cable TV and the day spa… :)

No comments:

Post a Comment