Saturday, October 4, 2008

a matter of perspective

It is a very rainy day in South Florida. While tourists are mad and the Chamber of Commerce is nervous, I am a little glad. I am locked in today, prepping for a long day of ministry tomorrow.

The rain kind of sets the mood for me. It is not depressing or sad. It is more relaxing and reflective. True, all of the people from our church are trapped inside and are going stir crazy but maybe they will all come to a service tomorrow.

On a deeper note, there is great biblical symbolism with rain. First Testament prophets wrote about rain as indicating blessings from God, specifically the blessing of the Spirit. Joel does an awesome job with the concept: Joel 2:21-24 Fear not, my people; be glad now and rejoice, for he has done amazing things for you. 22 Let the flocks and herds forget their hunger; the pastures will turn green again. The trees will bear their fruit; the fig trees and grape vines will flourish once more. 23 Rejoice, O people of Jerusalem, rejoice in the Lord your God! For the rains he sends are tokens of forgiveness. Once more the autumn rains will come, as well as those of spring. 24 The threshing floors will pile high again with wheat, and the presses overflow with olive oil and wine.
Joel 2:28 "After I have poured out my rains again, I will pour out my Spirit upon all of you! (TLB)

One of my favorite Christian bands from the 90’s was Pray for Rain. I remember at the time they were so popular, a teenager in our youth group (now a worship leader) asked, “who would ever pray for rain?” I was too annoyed to answer her question at the time but I recall thinking, “maybe those who are dying of thirst?”

Without rain, the ground dries up, become hard and is as good as dead. So are we, without the Spirit.

God, let it rain. Rain on South Florida today and on your children world-wide during this spiritual season.

No comments:

Post a Comment