Monday, August 10, 2009

out of the way places

We need to be deliberate in our efforts to spend time with God. With our busy schedules, the necessary spiritual-focus times won't happen unless we strategically place them in our calendar.

Cascade, Colorado proved to be a valuable experience for me as Letha and I enjoyed a vacation there last week. I was able to spend some time hiking and, as usual, when I got alone and away from the noise (not Letha :)), I experienced the closeness of God. Maybe it is just the way I am geared, but time in a natural setting does wonders for my abilities to interact with the Creator.

Mark (5:16) speaks of Jesus' need to be apart from the crowds and focus on His Father. As often as possible Jesus withdrew to out-of-the-way places for prayer. (MSG) I don't do this as often and I need to. I live 15 minutes from one of the best places in all the world to clear one's mind (the beach). But I still find it difficult to find the time to drive over and just sit. The mountains of Colorado reminded me of how important this time in in my life.

How about you? How long has it been since you turned the TV off long enough to clear your head? Would a brisk walk in the park or a drive in country help to clear things up? Wherever you live, there is a place, an out-of-the-way place where God is waiting for some special time with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment