Wednesday, October 7, 2009

a life verse

It may seem a bit futile to attempt to narrow down the Bible to one verse that summarizes one's life. Why would I even try? I think that the concept of a "life verse" is not so much about summary as much as it is about encapsulating. I have known many people who have used a particular verse to encourage, inspire and direct them. I have done the same for quite some time.

Actually, I have a few verses that I keep returning to. One of my favorites has always been Philippians 1:6 "...he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." This verse reminds me that God is not finished with me yet, that He has a plan for my life and, as I am faithful to Him, He will accomplish what He wants in me.

Another verse I have held on to is 1 Samuel 13:14 "...the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart..." A straight-forward reminder of my priorities and what God wants from me.

The verse that has inspired and directed me in the ministry more than any other is Psalms 78:72 "And David shepherded them with integrity of heart; with skillful hands he led them." I pray that I can fulfill this verse in my work for God.

So I guess technically I have a few "life verses". Having a "life verse" has been a helpful idea for me. It is like an anchor for my life. I would suggest the same for you.

So what verse nails it for you? Is there a particular passage that describes your heart, your passion? Have you narrowed it down? If not, read the Scriptures cover to cover until something grabs you!

Later this week, I plan to write about my favorite Bible characters.

1 comment:

  1. The one verse I always go back to and helps me throughout life is:
    Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk to the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me."

    It reminds me and comforts me knowing that whatever obstacles life throws at me, through hardships, and times of loss and need. My Savior is with me always.

    ReplyDelete