Thursday, November 12, 2009

an effort to minimize

The last couple of days, I have been focusing on ridding myself of excess distractions that may be keeping me from accomplishing what I am supposed to accomplish. This is not as simple as it sounds. On an hourly basis, I am afforded the opportunity to spend time doing either meaningless and purposeless tasks or meaningful and purposeful activities. The trouble is, sometimes they are difficult to distinguish one from another. As a result, I find myself doing a bunch of things poorly and few things well.

What is the difference between good and bad when it comes to my activities? Let’s start with the positive…
What I am supposed to be doing (in general terms):
Honoring God.
Loving my family.
Investing in the lives of people I care about.
Fulfilling my God-given calling.
Improving my commitment as a Christian and my abilities as a leader.

Now the negative slant…
What I am not suppose to be doing (also in general terms):
Trying to be the Messiah.
Micromanaging the entire world (or even my little part of it).
Wasting time.
Getting pulled off course by well-meaning but misguided individuals.
Trying to make everyone happy.

When in the middle of my busy day, it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between what I should do and what I should ignore. How do I know if this phone call is a diversion from my actual responsibilities? Am I the one who is supposed to address/solve this problem? Is the time I am spending with this cause going to have a good return? Is it required that I be accessible to anyone and everyone who expects me to be?

Right or wrong, I am trying to minimize. I want to reduce the time I spend wasting time. I want to be productive with my resources and time is the most valuable resource that I possess.

My goal is to be able to say “no” when I should. The way I figure it, there is always a drift toward over-commitment and over-involvement. If I err on the side of minimalization, I will in all probability, drift back to center and before long, back to the side of saying “yes” too much. Then I will get frustrated and the process will start all over again.

But for right now, I want to do a better job at fewer things. Make sense?

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Rick, I really enjoy reading what you write. I come to these blogs often. It is as if you are talking right to me!! Thank you for leading the way at Maranatha, we feel influenced, cared for and really motivated. I would be very surprised to think that you havent already heard this, you use your gift each day and I thank you for that. You've picked up your God-given sword!!
    Do you ever pray that half the audience would get up and yell Amen!? Weel, not all of us as as out-spoken as others, but I promise - God's working through you to many people we meet outside of church. I share what you've shared with us. It isn't always easy outside of the church circle, but its personal and I loev it. We're a light. I pray that many will follow you always to Christ Jesus!!!!

    Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete