Saturday, June 12, 2010

the thing about unopposed leaders

Paul makes an interesting statement in 1 Corinthians 16:9 “a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me.” (NIV) It seems that the fact that some were opposing him was evidence that opportunity was present. Interesting perspective, don’t you think?

I am in a season of little opposition right now. The team is with me, our leaders seem connected, even those who generally like to resist are quiet. And I am a little nervous about it.

Here’s the thing about unopposed leaders:

When everything is going your way. When everyone is on board. When your ideas are all good ones. When there is no pushback, no naysayers, no one shooting holes in your ideas.
Life is good.
Or is it?

When you are a leader and have no opposers…

Either:
1. You are really good and everyone believes in you and supports you.
Or
2. You are a mean ogre and everyone who opposes you is afraid to tell you (or anyone else) for fear of repercussions.
Or
3. You are not available to hear or are oblivious to feedback or have your head in the sand.
Or
4. No one cares enough to let you know.
Or
5. You are doing nothing of consequence, nothing important enough for anyone to oppose.
Or
6. The dam is about to break and bad news of opposition is just around the corner.

Personally, I am really hoping for option #1.

Leaders need some resistance from time to time. Our ideas do not need to go unchallenged.

Do I like it when I am opposed? No, I hate it. But is it valuable and necessary and it does inspires growth. I am not asking for someone to come against me. But when it happens, and it is only a matter of time, I will do my best to embrace the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment