Wednesday, January 21, 2009

every pastor’s struggle

I try very hard not to target individual people when I preach. A temptation for many pastors is to take pot shots or to grind personal axes while they are delivering their messages. It is not the place of preaching the Gospel to do combat with individual listeners.

That being said, I get majorly frustrated on a regular basis with the tendency of the many needy people in the church to miss worship services. Invariably, when God gives me a topic to address, those who appear to most need the solutions offered are not there when the message is delivered. I try not to focus on those who are not there. But many times, in the week prior to or the week after a particular issue is discussed, we receive communication from individuals who were not there, needing help in dealing with that very issue. Not surprisingly, I get a little flustered by this.

I believe that at least some of this is spiritual in nature. I do believe that there is an enemy of our souls who desires to keep us in our bondages. He will do whatever it takes to keep us away from truth and answers. I see this at work in the lives of many people.

I had a friend who once told me that people are responsible for obeying the Word that is preached in their church, even they are not present to hear it. I don’t know if that is true or not but the principle sounds solid to me.

I will continue to preach what God gives me. I will continue to try to be patient with those who are reluctant to expose themselves to the Word that is delivered. I know that God is more patient that I am. And these people are His sheep.

1 comment:

  1. The enemy of our soul may try to keep us from the healing and stregthening power of God's Word. The good news is that the Holy Spirit is greater than our enemy. There is hope if we speak God's Word in truth and faith.
    Preach the Word in the power of the Holy Spirit. Continue in prayer. Leave the results to God.



    As the rain and the snow
    come down from heaven,
    and do not return to it
    without watering the earth
    and making it bud and flourish,
    so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
    11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
    It will not return to me empty,
    but will accomplish what I desire
    and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isa 55:10-11 NIV

    ReplyDelete