Wednesday, February 4, 2009

spirit-filled roots

Katie Perry, who will in all probability win the Grammy for her song, I Kissed a Girl, has a Pentecostal background. Her interview by Katie Couric tonight on CBS revealed that her parents were Spirit-filled followers of Christ. The interview (below) left me wrestling with lots of questions.

CBSnews.com says: Katy Perry may be known for her wild stage outfits and bi-curious ode to sexual experimentation, but it’s her parents, she explains to Katie Couric, who may be the real wild ones.

"My parents have stories. They probably have better stories than I do," she says in an interview on Katie Couric's "All Access" Grammy Special, to be broadcast Wednesday, Feb. 4 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on CBS.

The daughter of travelling ministers, Perry reveals that despite their devout Evangelical beliefs, her parents have a past that’s more rock star than religious - her mother dated rock legend Jimi Hendrix and her father hung around with 60’s counterculture icon, Timothy Leary.

"He was part of the Strawberry Fields Forever," Perry says about her father. "[But] they found God, you know? They needed to find God. Not that they needed to find God, God found them, really."

Perry visits a New York City church with Couric, where she explains her religious upbringing, which included the Pentecostal practice of speaking in tongues. "You know, there was a movie or a documentary called ‘Jesus Camp,’" Perry tells Couric, "and I watched it and I was like, ‘Oh my Gosh, I didn’t know they had behind-the-scenes footage of my childhood!’"

Now the girl who grew up listening to the soundtracks of films such as "Sister Act" - 1 and 2 - and “The Preacher’s Wife,” is nominated for Best Pop Vocalist for her controversial chart-topper, “I Kissed a Girl.” And her parents couldn’t be prouder.

“They may not be singing along with everything,” she says, “but they are very happy."


Watch CBS Videos Online

2 comments:

  1. God dosen't have any grandchildren. Her parents were found by God and her finding place must also be a personal experience.

    Regarding pentacostal experiences, my prayer is for the zeal of God to be real and fervent. The manifest gifts of the Holy Spirit, including the baptism in the Holy Spirit, with the evidence by speaking in tongues, can bring zeal and fervor into the body of Christ. Our Church of God demominational leaders are advocates of such. It's not popular in mainstream church life today and was a source of division during the charismatic movement of the late 70s and early 80s.

    Still, lukewarm doesn't seem to be a good place. I'll keep praying for zeal and leave it's expression to the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I aways heard PK's (preachers kids) were on the wild side. Then I married one. My expectation wern't met. Praise the Lord!!!Love, joy and peace in the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete