Saturday, April 18, 2009

9 questions to ask about your marriage:

These questions connect with our new message series at Maranatha: Fighting 4 Your Marriage. Whether or not you are involved in the series, work your way through these...

(ask yourself, not your spouse)

1. Is my marriage worth fighting for?
2. Am I 100% committed to making my marriage work?
3. Do I put my spouse before myself?
4. Do I bear any responsibility for the issues that my marriage is facing?
5. Am I willing to put in the work necessary in order to have a healthy marriage?
6. Am I willing to sacrifice in order to make my spouse happy?
7. Is God first in my marriage?
8. Can God heal my marriage?
9. Am I obedient to what God tells us about marriage?

If you answer “yes” to all of these questions, you are doing very well and your marriage is probably healthy.

If you find yourself saying “no” to any of the above, I would suggest charting a course of action:

• Reach out – to your spouse. Communicate your concern and desire for the health of your marriage.
• Work together. Stop fighting each other and start fighting as a team. Your spouse is not the enemy.
• Get help. Seek out a qualified (not a friend who only gets her advice from Oprah!) Christian professional to consult and work with. It will cost money but it is well worth the investment. Many times, financial arrangements can be made.
• Submit and commit to God. A marriage that is centered upon God and the principles He gives in His Word will survive. If you are not there yet, work on it!

Come to Fighting 4 Your Marriage. This week we talk about money. Next week we will discuss everyone’s favorite topic: Sex!

No comments:

Post a Comment