Friday, June 6, 2008

beware of cool

I realize that the people who might need to read this won’t because I am not cool enough for them to visit my blog. So maybe you can pass this along, if you are cool enough to actually know any cool people.

It has always been the case, some people just think they are better than others. So this is no new revelation. We need to guard against thinking that others aren’t as good as us, ESPECIALLLY if this is based on the way they dress, the computer they use, their hairstyle, the music they listen to, how old they are, the church they attend, the movies they like, the books they read or don’t read and so on.

I really dislike the hugely popular mac commercials. Again, nothing new here but these guys are blatantly making fun of PC users and it works as a great PR tool for them. You know the setup: PC users are unpopular, out of touch with modern culture, wear frumpy suits and they are losers. Mac users are awesome, the girls prefer them, they dress better, they don’t shave, they don’t need glasses... If you are a mac user, good for you – but you are no better than those who aren’t. And yes, I use a PC.

Seriously, watch your heart. People who exclude or disrespect others who aren’t cool are wrong. Some important scriptures come to mind: Romans 12:3 “so I tell each of you not to think you are better than you really are.” (CEV) Galatians 6:3 “If anyone thinks he is important when he really is not, he is only fooling himself.” (NCV) Philippians 2:3 “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.” (NIV) James 4:6 “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." (NIV)

I have a little theory. I think that many really cool people are compensating for their low self esteem. They don’t feel very good about themselves so they create or copy an image hoping to show others, and maybe themselves, that they really are something special. Obviously this is not the best plan. Just go ahead and be happy with who God made you to be. Everybody will also like you a lot better.

Beware of cool – it will getcha.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! I find many people say and do things because it's "COOL" and you later find out that they aren't at all who they appear to be on the surface. Growing up, I always wanted to be with the "COOL" kids, but never was. Later on in life, I wanted to be with the "COOL" adults, but never was. Now, I am glad to be just me, and for the most part, what you see is what you get. I find it very hard to be more than what I am, it takes too much effort, and isn't this what God intended all along for me. I am happy, healthy and have a good life, not a problem free life, but a good life, so I don't feel the need to be "COOL!!!" and I am "COOL" with that. P.S. I don't think you need any cool people reading your blog because they wouldn't respond anyway, thanks for keeping it real! Sharon

    ReplyDelete