Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Life is too short to play it safe. “Safe” isn’t all is it cracked up to be. “Safe” is the land where dreams are buried. “Safe” is risk free and adventure free. “Safe” is where we live when we are too frightened to move ahead.

Today holds opportunities and possibilities to do something important. But if you are going to do something important, you will need to be ready to move out, away from your safety net. You will have to be willing to get close to the edge, you will have to come to terms with your fears and overcome them. This is what it means to “live by faith” (2 Corinthians 5:7).

Life expectancy in America right now is 69.3 years. Do the math. If you are half way there, are you half way to meeting your life’s goals?

When I am old, I don’t want to look back and regret living my life in a comfortable place. In fact, I really want comfortable to become uncomfortable for me. I hope I have enough courage to walk by faith, embrace the risks and move away from “safe” – right now.

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog thru the church website. Kinda cool -- like sitting in saturday night service all over again!

    This entry really stood out to me, probably because of where I'm at in my own life right now. I kinda picture faith - true faith - as skydiving. Altho I've never been (this is my goal before end of year!!), i imagine that freefalling sensation - completely letting go and just falling. And i think that must be what walking outside the safe zone is all about.

    Trusting God with the future, and plans, and everything unknown, isn't saying 'ok God I trust you' while at the same time you're sitting there, curled up in a ball, scared to death at what's ahead. Trusting God is letting go .. REALLY letting go. It's opening up your arms and saying God, here I am .. I'm falling into the unknown, and I am trusting you to catch me .. I'm letting go of everything and you can take it.

    I hope I don't ever play it safe. As scary as it is, I think it's also the most peaceful place to be.

    ReplyDelete