Sunday, July 19, 2009

from the message today...

We are in a series called, "Refreshing Your Soul". We are focusing primarily on Psalms 23. I received a couple of requests for part of today's message to be posted here. I hope you find it beneficial.

Here is the part I called "The Break Down of Psalms 23" (Although I made a couple of adjustments, this is not original with me.)

The 23rd Psalms broken down into bite size pieces…
My shepherd: relationship
Shall not want: supply
Green pastures: rest
Still waters: refreshment
Restores my soul: healing
Paths of righteousness: guidance
His name’s sake: purpose
Valley: testing
Fear no evil: protection
Art with me: faithfulness
Rod and staff: comfort
They comfort me: encouragement
Table: hope
Head with Oil: consecration
Runs over: abundance
Goodness and mercy all the days: blessing
House of the Lord: security
Forever: eternity

These are the things that your Good Shepherd offers you!


Now, this is the part of the message when I talked about "Parodies of the 23rd Psalms." Remember, a parody is "a humorous or satirical imitation of a serious piece of literature or writing." This is not intended to be sacrilegious - don't be offended.

My intellect is my shepherd, my reasoning capacity supplies all I will ever need. My ability to figure it all out allows me to be calm and to enjoy an inner peace. My scholarly accomplishments dictate my spiritual health. My ability to conduct research and be rational before making a decision is what guides me into my desired path. When I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for, for my ability to comprehend will provide the comfort I will need. My understanding takes care of me when in the presence of my enemies, my cup of wisdom overflows. Surely common sense and sound judgment will be with me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of intelligence forever.

My youth is my shepherd, my good health is all I need. Being young allows me to be strong enough to make it to the green pastures and still water, but who needs to rest? Being young is refreshing! I hear of other people who walk through the valley of the shadow of death, but it will never happen to me. I am comforted by the fact that I am invincible. My strength and vitality allows me to overcome my enemies. Surely strength and health will follow me all the days of my long life and I will stay young forever!

My money is my shepherd, I can buy everything I want. With enough of it, I can purchase a green pasture (the color of money) and a river full of still waters. Money will guide me in paths of happiness. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, lots of money will buy the best health care and I will not be afraid! My money is with me! My money provides a table of the finest food while me enemy just sits and watches. My money cup overflows. Surely my riches will stay with me all the days of my life and I will dwell in a multi-million dollar mansion forever!

I wrote a few more, but they are probably a little rough for usage here. Thanks for all of the affirmation from this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment