Wednesday, July 8, 2009

the greatest need

I like to think of myself as a solutions-oriented guy. I am not all that crazy about spending lots of time discussing problems, give me a problem-solving session any day. Better yet, just solve the problem and let’s skip the discussion altogether.

All that being said, if someone were to ask me about the greatest need of our ministry, and in a larger sense, the greatest need of our culture, I have a pretty clear answer ready: leaders.

The answers to our problems are not in more money or more time or better buildings or a slicker program. We are not going to accomplish what God wants by hiring a great advertising agency or by working with an awesome consulting firm. What we need are men and women to step up and show by example what being a Christ-follower is all about. We need people on whom we can count. We need folks who get the idea that leadership means people watch and follow, hopefully even imitate. We are in desperate need of people who are not afraid to be on the frontline. Not a title, not a position, not a figurehead leader; real leaders. I think I drive our leaders crazy when I tell them time after time, “I want to be able to point to you and tell others, ‘just do what they do’”. To me, this defines a leader. They are trusted, they are respected. They arrive early and they stay late. They are there.

I am finding myself spending more and more time asking God to help us to develop great leaders. I am also dealing with some impatience in regard to some who need to be leading, but for some reason are not.

Romans 12:8 If God has given you leadership ability, take the responsibility seriously. (NLT)

Let me sum it up: if you are asked by God to influence someone for Him, get with it! If we have people in leadership who are called to be there, we won’t have to worry about success. It will find us!

No comments:

Post a Comment