Wednesday, December 30, 2009

the best reasons to make this year the year

One can only be optimistic for so long. Eventually, all of the cheerleading gets old and people tire of the motivational rhetoric that attempts to get them to live up to their potential. It all boils down to a will to do the right thing for the right reason.

I won’t try to sell you on a plan to get into shape in ’10 and I won’t badger you about spending more time praying. I realize that, with the exception of my wife, everyone who reads this does so voluntarily and I would prefer you not click out of this site right now. So I will just lay out a few ideas about the purpose of getting something done in the new year. I hope you find it helpful.

Life is short: none of us are promised another year. I lost some dear friends over the last year – too many of them too young. I had no idea at this time last year that they would leave the earth so soon. Young or old, your next breath could be your last. I say, take advantage of the time you have been allotted and get busy fulfilling your destiny.

You are a person of privilege: to be born in this time and place gives you a distinct advantage over most others who have ever been born. Your gifts, abilities, resources and support pretty much demand that you accomplish something significant. Otherwise, we may rightfully be accused of squandering the greatest opportunities in history.

If you don’t, who will? Most people are pretty self-absorbed these days. Heroes are rare and those with a focus on something other than their own comfort stand out in a crowd. The result of this is – the world is looking for someone who will do something to make the world a better place in which to live. I’m not comfortable with simply allowing the politicians or rock stars to handle it – I don’t think their motivations are always the purest. And I don’t see hoards of average people stepping up. Maybe you and I need to seize the opportunity…

Why else were you put on earth? Financial security, fashion, physical appearance, acceptance by others…these all don’t hold much water as they relate to real purpose. I have yet to talk to one dying person who is concerned about the TV show they are missing. You were born with an optimum function. It is in there. Dig it out and live it out.

You will give an account: OK here goes the preaching and the guilt trip. But it is true. Scripture says: “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.” (Matthew 12:36), and “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.” (2 Corinthians 5:10) I will let God speak for Himself.

Finally, the need is urgent. Pain is not going away. People are hurting. And we have some answers.

So what about you in 2010? Will this be the year? I really hope so. And I mean that.

No comments:

Post a Comment