Saturday, April 24, 2010

engaged

I just returned home from Atlanta where I have been attending a conference called Engage. It was an excellent learning opportunity and centered around the concept of engaging the culture with Jesus Christ and being fully engaged with Him.

I heard fantastic teaching from Reggie McNeal and Len Sweet. I have admired both of these men for several years and have read a significant portion of what they have written. They both encouraged us to look ahead at the changes that are taking place in our world and strategically position ourselves where we can be most effective in doing the work of God now and into the future.

I am a missionary. Not in the sense that I have moved to a foreign country for ministry purposes. But similar to the heroes who chose this work, I have to learn to adapt to changes, I have to learn the language of the people around me and I have to know how to communicate effectively. We cannot use yesterday’s methods and expect to be successful today.

Engage helped me with this process. It was a real source of both inspiration and information for me. I also got to spend some good time with some great friends, as well as make a few new ones.

The Maranatha family will be hearing more about this stuff in upcoming teaching. For now, suffice it to say, we are headed full-speed toward full-blown missional ministry!

1 comment:

  1. A few weeks ago, you said you were looking for new friends! God loves you so much - he keeps adding to your friend list huh!

    ReplyDelete