Thursday, April 1, 2010

i hate when people hate change

Every few months, I am made aware of a statement or opinion that continues to arise, to the point that I am tired of hearing about it. It has happened again.

In the past month and a half, I have heard too many people utter the phrase, “I hate change!”. Of course, this was in response to someone challenging them to do something different in their lives. Now, we must state the obvious, not because it needs to be said but because it always comes up in the discussion. Change for the sake of change is not necessarily a good thing. There isn’t much value in transitioning something just so you can say that you did. So leave that line of thinking behind. I am addressing the necessity of change in our everyday life.

The people that I have heard describe their loathing of change live in a rut. They want things to remain that way. Someone with a better idea comes along, someone who is not afraid to risk, not afraid to challenge the status quo, and their innovative ways are met with the compelling argument, “but I don’t want to change!”. I can’t tell you how frustrating that phrase is to people who are trying to make the world a better place in which to live.

I don’t believe the people who say that they have sworn off change. I think they want other people to change, to meet their needs. They simply don’t want to go through the effort of changing themselves. Maybe a more accurate statement would be, “I only want other people to change. But please don’t require any cooperation from me.” They will be more than happy to enjoy the benefits that the change brings about.

Here are 3 good reasons to embrace change:
-Nothing good ever happens unless someone changes something. Everything from a good meal to scientific advancements result from someone taking the initiative.
-New life springs from change - without it we all die. Every time a baby is born, things change – drastically!
-Lack of change results in boredom. Who wants to live in prehistoric times? Life is meant to be exciting.

Think about this further:
If you can do better than you currently are, change needs to happen.
If a problem can be solved with change, bring it on.
If the life of someone around us can improve if we change, we have a responsibility to change.

What if Jesus has said to God, “I hate change!”? He would have stayed in heaven and we would have all gone to hell. He would have refused to go to the cross.

One final thought:
We all are willing to change when we hurt badly enough. Pain is a huge motivator. Let’s not wait until the pain is unbearable before we cooperate with transition.

Honestly, this is why I hate the "I hate change" philosophy so much. Those who refuse to change are hurting. Their lives aren't as fruitful as they could and should be. Resistance to change is a trap that holds them back, confines them to repeat the past. I want to see them free.

I love change. It is the essence of life. The next time one of my friends says, ”I hate change”, I am going to change friends. :)

2 comments:

  1. AMEN AMEN AMEN!
    This past week I thrusted myself onto a hugemongous bridge in Tampa on a business trip that I took my kids along with me on to face my fear of height and prove my trust in God.

    As silly as it may sound to others, it takes a tangible emotion like that for me. I was petrified, almost stopped breathing and meanwhile, my boys and my neice coached ME to calmness. God put these wonderful kids there for me and I want to be stronger every day, not just for my own future but theirs.

    The essence of my life consists of constent change to better myself for those around me.

    And, I am always looking for new friends, they are hard to find :)

    ReplyDelete