Thursday, April 10, 2008

I had a profound worship experience on Sunday. I was able to experience Holy Communion from a different perspective. It happened that during our worship, I was seated next to a friend who is quadriplegic. When time came for us to eat the bread and drink from the cup, I realized that he needed assistance. He does not have full use of his hands. When we ate the bread, I took his wafer and put it in his mouth. Then I put the cup to his mouth while he drank. Our tradition is for each person to handle their own elements, which I think works theologically and symbolically. We each have access to Christ and therefore to the Father. The thought that someone couldn’t help themselves to communion was a bit startling, from a philosophical point of view. I was humbled and touched to be able to share this time of worship with a friend. I was also moved to remember that none of us can gain access to a relationship with God by ourselves. I was also a bit ticked at those of us who are sometimes too tired to stand in the presence of God. My friend who is confined to a wheelchair would give everything he owns to stand in worship to God.

This experience is the best thing that happened to me this weekend. It's been with me all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment