Friday, March 6, 2009

Luke 1-8

The Christmas story in March is pretty cool. Luke’s details of John’s birth and Jesus’ birth is a great gift. I love the little detail mentioned in Luke 3:23 “He (Jesus) was the son, so it was thought, of Joseph.” A nice, direct reminder of His divinity.

In chapter 4, the devil is tempting Jesus, but Jesus overcomes him by utilizing (quoting) scripture. I am thinking that some of us will be much stronger to resist temptation because we are putting all of this Word into our hearts. I saw a detail in the temptation of Jesus that I have missed up to this time. In 4:13, it says, “When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time.” I wonder what the “opportune time” was.

I also don’t remember ever reading what some could describe as a negative twist on the Beatitudes. In Luke 6:24-26, He says, "But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
25 Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
for you will mourn and weep.
26 Woe to you when all men speak well of you,
for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets.
(NIV)

Some pretty heavy teaching, some things that may make us a bit uncomfortable. Sounds like we may get a choice to have it "easy" now or later. I guess I will take later.

Thanks for staying up with the reading schedule. This is one awesome series!

Saturday’s reading will be Luke 9-16.

If you get a chance, ask God to help everyone who is reading together and as we worship together on Sunday. I will be preaching an overview of the books of Acts – a mere 28 chapters. I think God will do some great things among us this Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment