Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday: John 8-14

We continue our reading through the Gospel of John. Some rich teaching by Jesus.

I noticed that, in the story of the woman caught in adultery, the whole issue arose as an attempt to trick Jesus. The accusers of the woman were "using this question as a trap” (8:6). Isn’t that the way it usually is? People are concerned about the behavior of others or want judgment on sinners, but in most cases, it is an attempt to gain something. Jesus deals with the accusers and forgives the woman. Such grace and power!

Among John’s writings in this portion are some classics:
The healing of the man born blind (ch. 9)
The Good Shepherd (ch. 10)
The death and resurrection of Lazarus (ch. 11)
The Triumphal Entry (ch. 12)
And the Vine and the Branches (ch. 15)

One of the best known and most comforting passages in the Bible is in John 14. John 14:1-4 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” (NIV)

Take comfort in that today.

Tomorrow: conclude John

No comments:

Post a Comment