Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sunday: Luke wrap up!

Today’s reading was especially challenging for me. Preparing to preach Acts while also finishing Luke was a real task. At least they are the same author!

I saw a few items in this section of Luke that do not get much attention. Items like:
(all scriptures in NIV)

God’s servants are to remain humble:
Luke 17:7-10 "Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep. Would he say to the servant when he comes in from the field, 'Come along now and sit down to eat'? 8 Would he not rather say, 'Prepare my supper, get yourself ready and wait on me while I eat and drink; after that you may eat and drink'? 9 Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? 10 So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'"

And

Humility revisited:
Luke 18:10-14 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men-robbers, evildoers, adulterers-or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' 13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' 14 "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

And

Right after Jesus served the Lord’s Supper:
Luke 22:24 Also a dispute arose among them (the disciples) as to which of them was considered to be greatest.

And

Never heard this preached on!
Luke 22:36-38 He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."
38 The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords." "That is enough," he replied
.

And

Immediately following Peter’s denial that he even knew Jesus:
Luke 22:61 The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter.

And

Herod didn’t get it.
Luke 23:8 When Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform some miracle.

And

Joining forces against Jesus:
Luke 23:12 That day Herod and Pilate became friends-before this they had been enemies.

I hope that these and other verses in Luke have you in deep thought today.

Tomorrow: John 1-7

No comments:

Post a Comment